Fluffy tails of woe - your favourite grooming advice

Talk about all things Tamaskan

Fluffy tails of woe - your favourite grooming advice

Postby julia.lovell » Tue May 31, 2022 9:34 am

We don’t ever seem to get past the blowing stage… so here’s some things we have done and are considering.

Cooper gets a full groom every 6 weeks, where he gets a bath and a blow. We brush him every day to get rid of loose hairs but they just keep coming! We have in our arsenal: a rake, a retractable slicker brush, furminator deshedding tool, an undercoat rake (curved ends), massage brush and finally one of those scrubbing brushes you use to do the kitchen (similar to a horse brush but with a handle). I can pet him and will have a full hand of hair any day of the week.

I’m considering investing in a blower as the groomers seem to blow some hair but I suspect they just dry Cooper out and not actually concentrate on getting hair out. This one has been recommended but ouch the price https://groomersworld.co.uk/product/mon ... r-uk-only/ Will it be worth it long term?

I have also seen attachments you can get for your hoover. I’ve heard mixed things about those. Cooper likes to help when hoovering so that shouldn’t be a problem with him, just don’t see the point in getting anything if it doesn’t work.

Tips, advice, condolences?
julia.lovell
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Re: Fluffy tails of woe - your favourite grooming advice

Postby Blustag » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:09 am

[quote="julia.lovell"]We don’t ever seem to get past the blowing stage… so here’s some things we have done and are considering.

Cooper gets a full groom every 6 weeks, where he gets a bath and a blow. We brush him every day to get rid of loose hairs but they just keep coming! We have in our arsenal: a rake, a retractable slicker brush, furminator deshedding tool, an undercoat rake (curved ends), massage brush and finally one of those scrubbing brushes you use to do the kitchen (similar to a horse brush but with a handle). I can pet him and will have a full hand of hair any day of the week.

I’m considering investing in a blower as the groomers seem to blow some hair but I suspect they just dry Cooper out and not actually concentrate on getting hair out. This one has been recommended but ouch the price https://groomersworld.co.uk/product/mon ... r-uk-only/ Will it be worth it long term?

You seem to be doing everything right with the grooming materials but maybe the regular bathing is your problem. Tamaskan moult twice a year and then you need to remove ALL hair. That is the secret as if any is left then they appear to be moulting all year round. A bath at the start of moulting helps but regular bathing isnt good as it removes all the oils in the coat needed to protect them. I dont bathe unless mine have rolled in something nasty which is very rare and mine only moult twice a year

If you want a blower dont buy a groomers one as waste of money. You can get a wet/dry machine from argos for a fraction of the price and put it on dry blow which is warm and will remove any loose hair or dry your dog after a bath.

Hope this helps :D
Blustag

Postby julia.lovell » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:21 pm

Thanks Lynn

Do you mean like this one? https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9171150
julia.lovell
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Postby Blustag » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:55 pm

Cant open sorry but any that blow out warm air will do :D

Just found it. No that is not the one but may do. The one I had wasnt for pets but the blow was nice and warm and you just disconnected the tube and used it by hand. It was very cheap and recommended to me by show people when I had my mals and sibes. :D
Blustag

Return to General