Scared of water

Scared of water

Postby AshnNate » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:27 pm

Hey :) So I received my beautiful Harley back in December, and she has just ben wonderful! She was house broken in a day with little to no effort at all. She is very playful, and protective. Unfortunately, the ride over to the US has made her hate kennels :lol: which is fine since I am home most of the time. But the times I do put her in the kennel she howls and poops. When I tried giving her a bath the first time she freaked out and tried to run out of the tub. The second time I tried to give her a bath she freaked again, and tried to jump out of the tub but slipped and hit the toilet. Now she has a hairline fracture on one of her legs!!! :cry: :cry: I want her to be able to get into water but not if it is going to cause her to harm herself trying to escape! Is this something normal for this breed, or am I going about this in the wrong way? Please help!!

*I use the shower head to clean her*
AshnNate
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Re: Scared of water

Postby Blustag » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:22 pm

AshnNate wrote:Hey :) So I received my beautiful Harley back in December, and she has just ben wonderful! She was house broken in a day with little to no effort at all. She is very playful, and protective. Unfortunately, the ride over to the US has made her hate kennels :lol: which is fine since I am home most of the time. But the times I do put her in the kennel she howls and poops. When I tried giving her a bath the first time she freaked out and tried to run out of the tub. The second time I tried to give her a bath she freaked again, and tried to jump out of the tub but slipped and hit the toilet. Now she has a hairline fracture on one of her legs!!! :cry: :cry: I want her to be able to get into water but not if it is going to cause her to harm herself trying to escape! Is this something normal for this breed, or am I going about this in the wrong way? Please help!!

*I use the shower head to clean her*

Oh my goodness so sorry to hear of her troubles. When you say she is protective what exactly do you mean? You say you put her in a kennel,
can you explain this more please. Also she howls and poops. This is because she is totally stressed out. When giving a bath you need to put her in a preferably plastic tub with just some warm water and a little baby shampoo or similar. Lower her in gently talking to her all the time giving her confidence. Don't let go of her but hold her tight. Get someone to help you. If she struggles and then escapes things are much worse as she is really stressing out now. You just need to give her a little bath and then rinse well. Towel dry and keep her warm, She should be dry very quickly. Don't use a hairdryer ever just let them dry naturally. Why are you bathing her? unless they get into something nasty they shouldn't need bathing. Now she is totally scared of the bath because she has injured herself. What is happening with the fracture? what does the vet say and what treatment has she had? If you are using a crate indoors there is lots of advice here on the forum about introducing them to the crate to avoid problems. See in the training section.

Please let me know how she goes on. :)
Blustag

Postby AshnNate » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:48 am

Thanks for getting back to me! So when I say protective she will growl if someone comes next to her that she does not know, but after she is around them long enough she is very playful. If I have to go to the grocery store I will put her in a create (kennel) while I am gone. If the howling and pooping is stress then I can understand why now. I give her a bath if she has mud or poop on her. Is that not the best option? The doctor says that it is a small hairline fracture, and that we should keep her off of her leg as much as possible to let it heal. She has a small cast on to keep her from putting pressure one her leg.
AshnNate
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Postby Blustag » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:42 am

AshnNate wrote:Thanks for getting back to me! So when I say protective she will growl if someone comes next to her that she does not know, but after she is around them long enough she is very playful. If I have to go to the grocery store I will put her in a create (kennel) while I am gone. If the howling and pooping is stress then I can understand why now. I give her a bath if she has mud or poop on her. Is that not the best option? The doctor says that it is a small hairline fracture, and that we should keep her off of her leg as much as possible to let it heal. She has a small cast on to keep her from putting pressure one her leg.

Bless her. Try to keep her as stress free as possible to allow her to heal and then don't put her in any stress positions. If she is growling then a firm NO will stop her. She must learn NOW and that it isn't acceptable. If you don't correct now it will get out of hand. They will try you on and are very intelligent. You must teach her the crate is not punishment and is going to be her 'den'. Follow instructions here on the forum for the best crate training. I assume it is in your house and not outside.

If she has mud on her just let it dry as it will then brush off. Don't bath her anymore than absolutely necessary as it destroys all the oils in the coat which she needs for protection and to keep her warm especially over in US during the winter months.

I wish you good luck with her and please let us know how she goes on and don't forget to put photos on a page for her in our gallery so we can all see how this litter are doing :D
Blustag

Postby Kelly_Rose » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:53 am

Welcome! :D
Your Harley sounds like a lovely girl, and I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, I'll add my 2 cents in here as to some courses of action to take:

Water. It may not be water in general your puppy is worried about, more so the bathroom and whole bathing experience. My Ragnar LOVES the sea and lakes near us but hates going in to our bath. We got a hard plastic outdoor play pool (while little you could use a low storage tub) and we often fill it up with water, put floating toys in it and make it a game to play in there, and we can get Ragnar nice and washed whilst it being fun for him! You shouldn't over shampoo dogs with coats like ours have as Lynn said they need the oils on the coats for all sorts of reasons, so best to either let dirt try to brush off (we do this 99% of the time) and only wash if necessary! (Fox poo, rolled in dead stuff, that kind of thing! It's recommend to fully wash these guys no more than twice a year)

In terms of the kennel, it's totally reasonable for her to be terrified of it after travelling across the globe in one! Very stressful experience bless her! The guides on this forum are good, but also try to YouTube "crate games" for ways to make the crate a positive place for her. Also try to build up the time she's left alone in there without her crying and getting stressed. Tamaskans don't seem to cope with seperation as well as some other breeds do, so it will take time and she shouldn't be left to "cry it out" as this has been proven to be highly stressful and traumatic for pups! You want to train her to be comfortable and relaxed alone in her crate, you dont want het to be quiet because she's shut down from stress!

Also in terms of being "protective"... from what you described it sounds more like she's frightened of meeting new people. Again this is understandable! I imagine big surrounded by people at the airports during the stressful journey had a negative impact on how she views new people. What you should do in this case is pair meeting a new person with a super high value treat (to be given by you, NOT the new person). Give it to her when she see's the new person, and before she growls as that means she is under threshold for getting worried by them. Don't push her to a point where she feels the need to growl, as this just allows her to practise the behaviour. Allow her to greet new people at a pace that is comfortable for her and always praise and treat when she does something brave like looking at a new person without growling, progressing to going a bit closer, to sniffing the hand, to allowing people to stroke her. However I would say please don't punish her for growling, it's her way of saying she's uncomfortable, if she gets punished for voicing her worries then it could happen one day that she is stressed by something, doesn't give a warning growl as she's scared of being told off for it, and is only left with the option to snap or bite to get the discomfort to go away! This is usually the truth behind people who "get bitten out of nowhere" unfortunately!

I hope all this makes sense!
I'm currently training to become a dog training instructor, so the methods I've described are along the lines of what the APDT (association of pet dog trainers) would be recommending. Basically whenever your dog struggles with something, you want to make it a more positive experience for them! It builds their confidence and makes them a much happier dog :)
If you'd like to join a great dog training Facebook group, I'd recommend "Beyond Cesar Millan" a positive reinforcement group that believes in methods proven to be much kinder and more affective than those used by Cesar :)
Kelly_Rose
Junior
Junior

Postby AshnNate » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:45 pm

Sorry its been a while since I've been on. Harley is doing well. She healed within a week of casting. She's loving water now, and has learned to love her "den". Thank you for all of your advice.
AshnNate
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Postby Blustag » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:24 am

AshnNate wrote:Sorry its been a while since I've been on. Harley is doing well. She healed within a week of casting. She's loving water now, and has learned to love her "den". Thank you for all of your advice.

Thanks for letting us know and glad she is well. Look forward to seeing her photos here when you have a minute :D
Blustag

Postby shreyaraina » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:14 am

Great Information. :)
shreyaraina
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Return to Health